West Africa is ahead of the recent ranking of the African football players the best paid of the year 2014. Yaya Touré from Manchester City is first in the Top 10 with an annual salary estimated at 13 million euros. The Moroccan, Medhi Benatia (8 million euros / year) and the Togolese, Emmanuel Adebayor Sheyi (6, 5 million euros / year) respectively standing in the second and the third positions.
The former captain of Indomitable Lions of Cameroon that was throning on the continent, is finally ranked in the sixth position with (4, 9 million euros / year) behind the Ghanaian Michael Essien (5,8 million euros / year) and the Ivorian Didier Drogba (5, 2 million euros / year).
- Yaya Touré (Ivory Coast), Manchester City. 13 million euros per year
- Medhi Benatia (Morocco), Bayern Munich. 8 million euros per year
- Emmanuel Adebayor (Togo), Tottenham. 6, 5 million euros per year
- Michael Essien, 31 years old (Ghana), Milan AC. 5,8 million euros per year
- Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast), Chelsea. 5, 2 million euros per year
- Samuel Eto’o, 33 years old (Cameroon), Everton. 4, 9 million euros per year
- Kolo Touré (Morocco), Liverpool FC, 4, 9 million euros per year
- John Mikel Obi, (Nigeria), Chelsea. 4, 4 million euros per year
- Salomon Kalou, 29 years old (Morocco), Hertha Berlin. 3, 1 million euros per year
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon), Borussia Dortmund. 3 million euros per year
Biography of Yaya Touré
Born on 13th May 1983, he is Kolo Touré’s brother.
Exceptional midfielder, he played in the greatest clubs: Monaco, Barcelona and Manchester City. In 2009, he unprecedentedly in the history of football, won with Barcelona six titles: Champions’ League, championship of Spain, Cup of King, Super cup of Europe, Super cup of Spain and World cup of clubs.
On 22nd December 2011, he was appointed Best African Player of the year.
– 2000: he started at 17 years old in the Ivory Coast club, ASEC of Abidjan.
– He was spotted by the Belgian club of Beveren, club that set up a partnership with the Academy MimoSifcom of ASEC Mimosas. He will stay in Belgium until 2003
– He then played in the Ukrainian championship with Metalurg Donetsk.
– 2005: He left for Greece and Olympiakos.
– 2006: He signed at AS Monaco for approximately 5,5 million euros.
– Summer 2007: FC Barcelona recruited him for approximately 12 million euros. 27th May 2007: he was the first player from Ivory Coast to have won the Champions’ League in Rome in front of Manchester United.
– In July 2010: Touré signed a five-year contract with Manchester City for 32 million euro. Yaya Touré will be the player the best paid of the Premier League with 900 000 euros gross salary per month.
– 2006 : champion of Greece with Olympiakos le Pirée
– 2006 : Winner of the Cup of Greece with Olympiakos le Pirée
– 2009 : Champions’ League with FC Barcelona
– 2009 : Championship of Spain with FC Barcelona
– 2010 : Champion with FC Barcelona
– 2009 : Copa del Rey with FC Barcelona
– 2009 : World cup of clubs with FC Barcelona
– 2009 : UEFA Super cup with FC Barcelona
– 2009 : Super cup of Spain with FC Barcelona
– 2012 : Champion of England with Manchester City
– 2011 : Cup of England with Manchester City
– 2006 and 2012: Finalist of African Cup of Nations in 2006 and 2012.
– 2008 and 2009: Ivorian Best player of the year.
– 2011: African Best player of year
Original text by: Roger ADZAFO